23 December 2012

Luminaire (Florence Waverley #2)

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Ciye Cho
Format: eBook
Pages: 546
Rating: 8.5 out of 10 

*Spoiler Warning*

Summary (via Goodreads): Being the only human in a world of merfolk... isn't easy. Florence Waverley chose to stay in Niemela, but things have gone awry. Secrets have risen and the prince she cares about has pulled away. All the while, dark dreams warn her of a tragedy that only she can stop. But in order to save the merman she loves, Florence will have to enter the Life Path tournament: a brutal test of fear and madness.

The tournament is a rite of passage--a maze where young mermaids and mermen battle to find their purpose. It is also a place where Florence will face grave danger: mermaids with evil magic, tunnels filled with sea fire, and guardians who wish to use her as a pawn in their secret plans. But will Florence be strong enough to survive the tournament... or will she perish inside it?

Everything hangs in the balance: her life, her world, and her love.

My Thoughts: After reviewing Florence, I was happy to have the opportunity to review the second novel in that same series. I loved this one just as much, if not a bit more, that the first. I thought that characters grew just the right amount (nobody can stay the same forever or the book, as well as life, would be boring). 

This novel had much more action than the first did. The majority of the book seems to be made up of action of some kind which keeps the plot moving and also keeps the story interesting. The action proves just how strong the main character really is. I would not be able to go through what she has. She has adjusted extraordinarily well and continues to grow stronger. She fights for what she wants which I love. It's great that she thinks for herself. She refuses to follow blindly behind someone, especially when she is offered the chance to fit in. It's no longer about that for her. It's a good thing that Rolan grew up because he was starting to get on my nerves. A few times, I told Kristen that I wanted to jump into the book and punch him in the face for being such a stupid boy.

I find that I am much happier with the way this book ended than I was with the last. I felt more satisfied than I previously did. In fact, I'm glad that it ended the way it did. The book left just enough questions and theories to make another book necessary. By that, I mean that I need to read the next one. I really want to know what happens. However, I was a little disappointed that all the nonsense with Kiren wasn't mentioned very often. There were a few references to him, what had happened, where he is, and what he is doing now, but nothing really happened with that story line. He was there, yes, but had little purpose in this novel. I thought that this one would be more centered on his plans, not the plans of others. Perhaps that will be in the third novel...

Also, where did Rolan's dad go at the end? I felt he was suddenly absent but that could just be me.

Closing: I think that this is the kind of series that you start and get sucked into. You want to finished them and kind out what is going to happen but you also need to finish them. I stand with what I said about Florence, this is an amazing book and I think you should check it out. Give it a try. What have you got to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...