2 December 2012

True Believer

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Format: Paperback (others available) 
Pages: 336
Rating: 7.5 out of 10

Summary (Thank you Goodreads): As a science journalist with a regular column in Scientific American, Jeremy Marsh specializes in debunking the supernatural and has a real nose for the strange and unusual. A born skeptic, he travels to the small town of Boone Creek, North Carolina, determined to find the real cause behind the ghostly apparitions that appear in the town cemetery. What he doesn't plan on, however, is meeting and falling hopelessly in love with Lexie Darnell, granddaughter of the town psychic. Now, if the young lovers are to have any kind of future at all, Jeremy must make a difficult choice: return to the life he knows, or do something he could never do before-take a giant leap of faith.

My Thoughts: It took me much longer than I expected to fall in love with Jeremy. I couldn't get a handle on him for some reason. I often found myself questioning his motives even though most of the story is told from his perspective. I thought that was bizarre. To be honest, Lexie bothered me in the beginning too. Half way through the story I started to wonder if it was all in my head and if another recently read book was destroying my thoughts about this one. (Can someone read this and let me know if I'm losing my mind or not?) I got with it eventually and started to really enjoy this novel. I found myself excited to see how it would end. I wished that I could jump into the story and kick Jeremy and shake Lexie and ask why they were doing some of what they were doing. Also, Alvin was a fun character just because he stood out. He was both strange and intelligent which I enjoyed. Also, I love the grandmother figure that Sparks' uses often. They always no what to say to help and always have a witty comment. I love a good chuckle every once and awhile too. This was, however, not close to being one of my favourites by Nicholas Sparks, hence the lowish rating.

Final (Yet long) Thoughts: It was a fast read, less than a day, but it was worth it. I really enjoy Sparks' novels. This is the fourth one I've read and I have more on order. Someone once told me that they were all the same and therefore a waste of my time but I disagree. Of course, they are a lot alike; they have the same author and are the same genre but I believe that each offers the reader something different. These books have the ability to be read over and over again, each time letting the reader learn something new. I love that about books. I definitely believe that everyone should give one of Nicholas Sparks' novels a try. Start with one you haven't seen a movie for. I bet that you will fall in love!

P.S. I think I died a little at the end. Good call on that one, author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...